Peggy Pauley and Brian Miller are Senior International Trade Specialists in Louisville, Kentucky.
When it comes to supporting U.S. exporters, there are few better tools than free trade agreements (FTAs).
These agreements decrease or eliminate tariffs and non-tariff barriers, lowering the hurdles to exporting. Exports to our FTA partners are up 57 percent since 2009, and comprise 46 percent of total U.S. goods exports.
For businesses ready to expand their exports to U.S. free trade partners, the U.S. Commercial Service is hosting the DISCOVER GLOBAL MARKETS: Free Trade Agreements Business Forum in Detroit, September 9-10th.
The Forum features a number of programs to support attendees looking to increase their exports, including:
- Pre-scheduled one-on-one meetings with U.S. commercial diplomats from 18 free trade markets;
- Delegations of public and private sector companies from Costa Rica, Guatemala, Morocco, and Honduras who are looking for potential business partners;
- Networking opportunities throughout the conference; and
- Dynamic market exploration sessions.
We’ll also have speakers from companies that have set the standard for exporting, including:
- Romaine Seguin, President, UPS Americas Region;
- Michael Sheridan, Director, Global Trade Strategy & Policy, Ford Motor Company; and,
- Mustafa Mohatarem, Chief Economist, General Motors.
For any business looking to export, free trade markets present an excellent opportunity. The DISCOVER: Free Trade Agreements event will give your business the insight and contacts necessary to get started.